Friday, July 29, 2011

Chamonix et l'Aiguille du midi

On July 11, we left the peaceful settings of Le Mont for the very busy and touristic town of Chamonix.
We parked the camping car next to plenty others like us as we wanted to be close to the cabin that would take us to the top of the Aiguille du Midi, so close to the Mont-Blanc.
It was crowded for sure, but it was magical also.
Papa had read that crossing form the Plan de l'aiguille to Montenvers would be a very nice 45 minute walk to the train station of the Mer de glace. So, that morning, he had asked me if I was willing to walk or if he should take the pack. I opted for walking.
The problem is that once at the top, the signs were saying that it would take 2.5 hours to hike to the station.
The good thing: I was in a good mood and willing to walk, which I did for nearly 85% of the 7 kilometers. I was proud of myself and I got a well deserved ice-cream when we finally made it. We took the cool red train down the mountain and I waled yet another mile to the camping car. I was exhausted but it was a good day on the mountain with beautiful views ( I mainly liked the rocks and the little waterfalls but the parents told me that the Mont-Blanc and surrounding mountains were also great to look at).

No comments :